Please make sure of which cultural assets there are.
Sudeoksa Temple Samcheungseoktap(Three storied stone pagoda in Sudeoksa Temple)
Built on a foundation consisting of a base and pedestal, this three-story granite pagoda is believed to be a work of Goryeo (918-1392), judging from the irregularity of the roofstone cornices. The cornices of the roofstones are four stepped. The pagoda retains its original shape but the body of the second story and the roofstone of the first story are slightly damaged. The pedestal is made of four stones on which pillars are carved. Each roofstone has a one-stepped capstone. Of special note is that the base of the finial and the roofstone of the third story are actually one piece. The rest of the finial comprises a disc and canopy
Sudeoksa Temple Nosanabul Gwaebultaeng(Buddhist painting in Sudeoksa Temple)
Gwaebul refers to a large Buddhist painting, which was used in a Buddhist mass or ritual as an object of worshipping. This painting adopts Nosanabul, a great Buddhist god, among Birojana Samsinbul, the three great Buddhist gods governing Buddhism, as its main theme.
The title of the painting, Wonmanbosinnosanabul, is written in Dugwang, the halo around one's head, over Nosanabul's head. Nosanabul's two hands are depicted much bigger than other body parts, making it clear that Nosanabul is the main theme of the panting. The coronet, the ornaments on the chest and the patterns on the robes with the knot on them are very magnificent. This Gwaebul is identical to Nosanabulgwaebultaeng in Sinwonsa Temple. 12 Buddhist angels, 10disciples and 4 protecting gods are complicatedly surrounding Nosanaul. 12 Buddhist angels are placed on the middle and lower part of the painting. 10 disciples, including Anan and Gaseop, are placed on the top part, boasting their active motions and free facial expressions.
This Gwaebul is quite unique in that it mainly depicts Nosanabul. It is mainly painted with the red and green colors. The empty space on the canvas filled with 5 different bright colors makes the entire painting look fantastic. The phrases on the painting include the list of benefactors and they tell that it was painted in 1673 or the 14th year of King Hyeonjong in the Joseon Kingdom.
Sudeoksa Temple Daeungjeon(Daeungjeon Hall of Sudeoksa Temple)
Sudeoksa Temple is located on Mt. Deoksungsan. Because there are no clear records from the time of the establishment, the tales told differ from each other. According to the records left at the temple, the Buddhist monk Sungje built it at the end of the Baekje Kingdom, and Noong repaired it again during the rule of King Gongmin in Goryeo Kingdom. It is also told that the Buddhist Monk Jimyeong built it in the first year (A.D. 599) of King Beop during the Baekje Kingdom, and Wonhyodaesa repaired it again.
Daeungjeon, a main hall which enshrines a statue of the Buddha, was built in the 34th year (1308 A.D.) of King Chungnyeol of the Goryeo Kingdom, and it is the highest wooden-made building in our country of which the year of establishment can be known accurately. With 3 blocks on the front side, 4 blocks on the sides, the building is in the jusimpo style with pillars whose middle is thicker than both ends upholding the eaves of the roof, with decorations, and with the wooden blocks holding up the eaves being only on the pillars.
As for the building of Daeungjeon, the temple's main hall, since the year in which it was built can be known, it has become a standard for estimating the years of establishment of buildings constructed during the middle and latter periods of Goryeo Kingdom by comparing and studying the formal differences with other buildings. And, because its formal beauty is extraordinary, it has been receiving the evaluation as a very important architectural cultural asset in the history of Korea's wooden architecture
Name of Cultural Properties Sudeoksadaeungjeon(Daeungjeon Hall of Sudeoksa Temple)
Though tradition has it that Sudeoksa Temple was built by Buddhist Priest Jimyeongbeopsa in 599, the first year of the reign of King Beop( 599-600), the king of the Baekje Kingdom(18 B.C.-A.D. 660), and the main hall the next year, there is no historical record to prove it. According to the inscription on the main hall's main beam, which was discovered when the structure was renovated between 1936 and 1940, the present structure was built in 1308, the 34th year for King Chungyeol( 1274-1308) of Goryeo (918-1392). The bracketing and ox-tongue buttresses are characteristic of Goryeo structures but the curving lines of the building show the infulence of Baekje.